I found this picture at this website. I like how the adults are demons. :) The saying in between the two pictures is, "In the eyes of children, colored tiles are floating islands, and white tiles are pitfalls."
It reminded me of when I was a kid and how I saw the grocery store floor. I have seen my kids act like this as well. I remember grocery shopping with my mom and trying to avoid the lava. When my brother was with us, we would hop, skip, and jump ourselves aisle to aisle. We hated certain areas of the store because there were not many "safe" areas. Most times we would have to go into "time out" mode because as a working parent, my mom didn't have much time for our lava fears. When I say "time out" I don't mean the kind a kid gets instead of a spanking (heaven knows we had our share of those growing up) but a "time out" from the game. The lava always complied - it's considerate like that. But the moment my mom was preoccupied with which cardboard cereal was cheaper per ounce, our game continued until we drove our mom crazy again. It was a continual cycle.... like the water cycle. We never learned because we didn't want to.
Now that my brother and I have grown up, something must have sneaked in and stole our extreme and intense child imaginations. Maybe it was puberty. Who knows. Thankfully, we have children of our own now to remind us of the way we can look at the world. We can appease our inner children by looking at the world through their eager, innocent eyes. I am going to play "Lava" next time I go to the store.













2 comments:
Thank you for this, Celeste.
My daughter started pre-school a few weeks ago, and every day as I walk her home, I get to hear all about the various bridges and cliffs we have to take or avoid all the way home.
I have allowed her to indulge herself, not quite sure where she was coming up with these ideas. Now I realize, she doesn't come up with them from anywhere. She's just a child. It's part of her nature to simply invent exciting stories to liven up the mundane.
Dang I miss being a kid.
I love it, Steve!! Your daughter sounds like how my daughters were when they were that age. :)
Post a Comment