Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blood Drive

Monday, January 5th, was the first school day of the new year; not just for my kids but for me at SUU. I woke my kids and Lily was the only child who seemed excited to return to school; I was also very excited for a new semester. While I brushed the girls' hair, I formulated my daily schedule to fit in time to go to the SUU bookstore and buy myself the books and a new backpack. Plus I was looking forward to buying new pencils. They have the best mechanical pencils at SUU.

After we say our morning family prayers and I shuffled them out the door to catch the bus. A cold chill cut through the air as I opened the door. I looked at the temperature gauge, it was below freezing. The clouds hung in the sky, hiding the mountains in the background, and it appeared as if a painter stop painting halfway up the mountain.

I scowled and close the door, wondering where my tennis shoes were. It was not going to be a good day for my mesh shoes. I dug through the pile of shoes, finding my cowboy boots; those work as well as any other shoe for keeping moisture out.

I decided that this would be a great morning to start my WiiFit. I received it for Christmas and was waiting until the kids were back in school to use it. I found myself having too much fun and ended up having to rush through my shower and threw clothes on so I can make it to the kids' elementary school. Every Monday I help out in one of my good friend's Kindergarten class. I do the homework folders. The sky outside promised snow and I became very thankful that I took the time earlier to find my cowboy boots.

As I entered the Kindergarten classroom, the boisterous excitement assaulted my ears. The whole class was murmuring to each other of what they did during the Christmas break and what presents they received. Not only were they talking incessantly, they seem to forget the rules of the classroom. Their little minds were finding it difficult to switch back into learning mode. As I finished I knew I had to hurry to get to SUU so I could find the books I needed.

I drove through streets lightly coated with fresh snow. My shoes made a satisfying crunch as I walked toward the Sharwin Smith Building. I am not known for my gracefulness and that day was not any different. As I crossed the Rotunda, the snow in the packed crevices of my shoes began to melt from the warm temperature. I slipped in front of a whole bunch of people - looking like Bambi learning to walk. Fortunately I didn't fall; unfortunately the Rotunda was jam packed full of people.

Later that day, before my math class, I noticed that there was a blood drive in the Ballroom. I love giving blood. Not because it feels good - because it doesn't - but because I love the satisfaction of knowing I am helping others. I knew from experience, that giving blood is not a walk-in-walk-out activity. I saw that they were doing the blood drive the next day as well. But I knew I would not have time on Tuesday. I walked by the sign, saying they were closing soon, and went to my math class. The teacher let us out early so those of us who didn't have the right textbook could go get it. I took that time to make it to the blood drive.

Even though I only had an Atkins shake and some veggies for food that day, I figured I would be fine because they give out snacks afterward. I love the juice they offer and I always get a bag of Famous Amos cookies - my stomach looks forward to this every time I give blood.

Everything was going well, I was filling up the pouch in good time, I was laughing and joking with the workers, and then I started feeling funny. I got all woozy, and my stomach told me it was mad. I asked the lady if it was normal to feel nauseous and all at once, the Red Cross workers jumped to help me. One ran and got me water, one grabbed ice packs, and a guy grabbed a barf bag and held it for me. I seriously didn't think that I would throw up.... but my stomach had other ideas. I told them that the room was fuzzy. I was scared but thought I could control myself and I would be fine.

They already pulled the needle out of my arm but would not let me sit up. I laid there thinking I was going to be fine. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I began to heave. Up came the little food I had consumed that day. I tried to aim for the bag, but I was so out of it that I got most of it on myself.

As soon as I started hurling, someone grabbed me juice and a bag of cookies. I sipped the juice and closed my eyes. Apparently crossing your ankles is bad and I was out of it because they constantly had to remind me to uncross my ankles.

With my eyes closed, I started noticing that my arms were shaky and numb. I was scared.

After throwing up, I started recovering.  The juice was starting to work its magic.  After the barf-bag guy left, the lady who drew my blood handed me napkins to clean myself.  I was mortified that not only did I barf in front of a guy, it got all over my shirt!!!  When I was sufficiently ok to sit up, they helped me up and I made my way to the snacks.  I zipped up my jacket all the way up so no one would see the wet spot on my shirt.  After finishing my juice and cookies, I started to feel sufficiently better, I grabbed another juice and went to the bookstore.

After going to all the classes that day, I realized there were a few things I still needed to get. I made the mistake of thinking I was well enough to go down the stairs to the book area. I kept my jacket zipped up all the way up. That made my feel extra hot, so when I was coming back up the stairs took its toll. I sat on the floor in the bookstore in one of the aisles.

Some time passed, people glanced at my funny as if they had never seen a sweaty person before. When I thought I was better, I went to buy my things. At the register, I felt the wave of nausea hit harder and asked the lady to watch my things and ran to the bathroom. I barely made it to the toilet when WHOOSH, I threw up EVERYWHERE: All over the seat, my chest again, and the floor. Both cans of juice and cookies were splishing and sploshing all around that bathroom floor.

That is when the unthinkable happened. During one of the heaves, I felt some wetness spread in my nether regions. Flashbacks came flooding into my mind of being sick with the flu and things shooting out both ends.

When my body emptied itself of any trace of food or drink, I cleaned off the seat and sat down murmuring, "I don't want to die, I don't want to die." I knew I had to check to see what the damage was in my pants. To my relief: I only peed my pants.

Thankfully the jacket, that I ripped off just before I threw up, was long enough to zip up and cover my shirt AND pants. I bent down to clean up my mess off the floor and the dizziness and nauseous came suddenly back. I stood back up and realized that since my day was not shaping out to be a good one, I figured I wouldn't press my luck in trying to clean; I just knew I would pass out and fall into my vomit.

Today I am giving it another go. There is a blood drive at my Stake Center. I hope I ate and drank enough. I don't want a re"pee"t of that cold, wet January afternoon.

0 comments: