Halloween was bittersweet for us this year. The night before, one of our dear friends, Bonnie, was hit by a car as she was walking her dog. All day Saturday, we were worried that we were going to get a call that she died since she was in critical condition. Thankfully, she is still hanging in.
So all day, between cringing every time the phone rang, we tried to do Halloween stuff.
Then it was time for trunk-or-treating.
After trunk-or-treating, we ran to the store to get milk and a few other necessities. While we were there, I was reminding the kids that the next day was Fast Sunday. Justin argued with me and said, "No it's not." I tried explaining that it was. Finally he protested, "But tomorrow is October 32nd!" I started laughing and told him, "Uhhh, Justin, October has 31 days. No month has 32 days." He looked bewildered and said, "I thought some had 33."
After Wal-Mart we went home and the kids dumped out their candy to sort it.
I asked the kids what their favorite candies:
Nathan - His favorite are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. He mostly got Reese's.
Justin - His favorite are Snickers or Hershey's. He mostly got Tootsie Rolls.
Rebekah - Her favorite is Kit-Kats. She mostly got Pixie Stixs.
Lily - Her favorite are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. She mostly got Reese's.
And surprisingly enough, NO ONE got candy corn this year!!! That was a first!
As usual, we put a big bowl in the middle of the room for the kids to do their candy trading. They could put candy in and then take some out. But they began to trade amongst themselves. That is when it got amusingly interesting. I loved watching their bargaining and trading skills. Things worked out ok and no one got gypped.
Bill and I usually troll the candy bucket for rejected candy that only he and I like. We came across wax lips. The kids weren't too excited because they never played with them before and put them in the reject bucket. So we took them out and had a blast. I think that next year, they will not be so quick to discard their wax lips because they were loving how much fun Bill and I were having.












0 comments:
Post a Comment