Thursday, October 22, 2009

Monday Menu Done on Sunday (10/18/09)

Well, with the kids having a 5 day weekend (gotta love Harvest Holiday, AKA Hunting Holiday) we decided to have our new menu food on Sunday and take it to a friend's house to enjoy the Sabbath and not worry about having to get to bed early because there was no school the next day.

Bill has been dying to have Shepherd's Pie since we got married. I didn't want to make it because his version sounded gross to me and what I grew up with sounded gross to him. However, he was so insistent that he wanted Shepherd's Pie that I finally told him that if he wanted it then he could make it. While this isn't a new recipe, per se, his version was new for me.

And even though I don't have exact measurements for most of the ingredients (or pictures, I was too hungry when it was finally done to think about taking any pictures), you can adjust it to your tastes.

2 1/2 lbs (or less) of ground beef
1 packet of aus jus mix
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Frozen Corn
Potatoes
Butter
Milk
Salt
Bacon
Cheese

Peel and cut up potatoes. Boil until soft enough to mash. While they are boiling, brown ground meat, garlic salt, and pepper. When meat is done (or almost done) add aus jus packet. Then stir in frozen corn. Heat on low until thoroughly warmed.
Drain potato chunks and begin to mash them. You can use an old fashioned potato masher or electric mixer. While mashing, stir in butter, salt, and milk. When mashed, stir in bacon bits (not the fake ones, these ones) until thoroughly mixed.
Spread meat mixture into 9x13. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. Then start plopping on the mashed potatoes. Cover with foil and bake at 250°F until thoroughly warmed. Sprinkle bits of bacon on top of potatoes, then cheese on top of the bacon. Bake until cheese melts. Serve warm.

Now for dessert we made those Cookie Dough Pies. Granted, I have made the original recipe before, but wanted to try some fun variations. You will need to click on that link to get the recipe, but I will tell you the variations here:

I got a bag of Keebler Chips Deluxe Coconut Cookies. Between each layer of whipped cream and cookie, I sprinkled some sweetened flaked coconut on. Then when done, I drizzled chocolate syrup on top and then sprinkled a bit more coconut on top. I LOVED this one! It was VERY good.

I was going to use the Keebler Chips Deluxe Peanut Butter Cookies but the ounces of the bag were only 15 and I didn't want to buy two bags and have extra cookies to tempt me.... so I just bought the original kind and then a couple Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (I ended up using 8 PB cups). So between the layers of whipped cream and cookie, I sprinkled some chunks of chopped up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Then I also drizzled with chocolate and sprinkled with more chopped up cups. This one was FABULOUS! It went the fastest.

Things were yummy that night. It is nice to have one day off a week from my diet. :-)

1 comments:

Robin said...

Celeste thanks for posting all the new cookie dough pie recipes on my blog! Great ideas! It is a fun pie to do in a jiffy and the kids (and adults) love it. Your comments are all appreciated as I think the readers will love to try some of the combinations you developed. Thanks!