Sunday, October 25, 2009

Neat Nate

I was thinking about how I haven't really updated much about the kids lately. So I will update about Nathan tonight and then take turns talking about each kid tomorrow.

Nathan broke his wrist two weeks ago. He was playing with some friends at Mutual and they were screwing around in the gym (having lots of fun though) and he fell wrong and hard on the gym floor. I was in the other room helping the Young Women learn to sew and so Lily and Rebekah came running in to tell me. I go in there, and all the kids had been telling Nate, "Oh, it isn't broken because you aren't crying and you can move your fingers." Well, he showed them! :-) I ran to the kitchen, got some ice and found a bag full of straws, dumped the straws out and put the ice in it (I am so going to get the MacGuyver award for that, haha). He held on to that ice for over an hour in the ER waiting room. Nathan was insanely nervous. And the ice melted and since he was cradling his wrist on his lap with the ice, it looked like he peed his pants. But he was in so much pain, he didn't care. I could tell what the stress was doing to him because his blood pressure was HIGH! 140-something over 116. They put us in the trauma room. Now, having never been in the ER for a broken body part, I am unsure if that is procedure or if that was the only empty bed... But either way, it did nothing to alleviate his stress. They took his x-ray and it showed he broke his radial bone on the growth plate and chipped is ulna. So they put him in a splint, gave him some Lortab, and sent us on our way with instructions to call the orthopedist the next morning to get him in to cast it. So we did and he chose a purple cast. He tried his best to hide his pain when the doctor was trying to cast him. It hurt him. It was hard watching him grimace. Later, either that day or the next day, he was at home from school and trying to get at an itch inside his cast. He put a long bendy pencil but eraser side in his cast to try and scratch it. Well, the eraser broke off inside. After trying to get it out, he said he thought he did. Well, apparently not. LOL The next week we went in for his one week check up and to get an x-ray to see if things were healing properly and guess what? They saw the eraser on the x-ray. So they had to cut off his cast and put a new one on. The dr reminded him to not put ANYTHING down his cast or he might scratch too hard and cut himself and then that would lead to infections, etc. Well, that scared him enough to take his advice. LOL He cracks me up, he can do lots of things he wants to do, but when it comes to stuff he doesn't want to do, he acts helpless. It is funny because I know he can do it. But somethings I know he can't do, and either myself or Rebekah will help him. Other than that, he is doing pretty well and is being a normal teenage boy. Oh, and he just had a dental appointment this past week and has ZERO cavities! Yay!

0 comments: