Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Hunter" Holiday

I remember this time 6 years ago.... It was my first October living in southern Utah and I was wracking my mind to figure out why there was a 5-day weekend in this month called "Harvest Holiday." It didn't take long before I was told it was not so much a harvest holiday as it was one for hunters. There are so many hunters in Utah that I guess they figured it would be easier to make it a vacation so kids wouldn't miss school because this weekend deer hunting is open to the youth as well.  Yes, some families go hunting together.

As much as I wish I could go hunting, I am just grateful for the nice break in the regular schedule of waking up early.  Plus it is the end of the first quarter of school and they need the break as much as I do.  Although, I don't think that the kids really get more rest since we all stay up late playing games, watching TV, or hang out with friends.


Yesterday the 5-day weekend is going to be long!  Lily listened to the same song over and over and over and over and over while Rebekah was listening to a different song over and over and over, as well. Lily had her headphones on so she was singing rather loudly.  As I sat on the couch, one ear was hearing Lily singing, “My, my, this here Anakin Guy, maybe Vader someday later, now he’s just a small fry...” And the other ear hears, “Everybody was kung-fu fighting…”

I tried tuning them out but on about the 20th go around with the same song, Lily was singing rather loudly and sang, "...because Queen Amadonna wanted to..." We all started giggling. We tried to help he pronounce it right but she just embarrassed.

This is going to be an interesting 5-day weekend. :)

0 comments: