Wow, I can't believe one year has gone by since Bonnie's accident. Yesterday it was a year exactly. If you want to read about what happened, you can go to the Bonnie's Accident webpage.
I remember a year ago, I was so afraid that one of my best friends would die. I do not cope well with death. Over the next several days, I would look forward to ANY updates about Bonnie. It was a horrible day the day I found out that Bonnie had no brain activity. Everything kind of happened in a surreal way. I went from sobbing one moment, to numbing myself the next. The idea of not hearing Bonnie talk to me or laugh was heart wrenching. I knew that I would see her in the next life, but that didn't help my mortal self. Larry was given the option from the doctor to give Bonnie some dignity and pull the plug so she could move on to the next life.
I don't care who you are, the decision to pull the plug is one of the most difficult choices to make. So when I heard that Larry had a very spiritual experience and then opted not to pull the plug, I was overjoyed. Not because I wanted to see her suffer longer, but because I knew Larry made the right choice. Through miraculous intervention, Bonnie soon regained some brain waves. The doctors were amazed but still weren't sure what to make of it because Bonnie was still in a coma and weren't sure of the depths of her brain damage. After scans, they found that Bonnie suffered from shearing. I still don't quite understand what that means.
I don't remember how long she was in her coma, but it was about 5-6 weeks. Those were some long weeks. It was hard not knowing what state she would be in when she woke. The webpage I put a link to in the first paragraph, has a much more detailed account of everything.
After many prayers, fasting, and inspired doctors, she has gone from a possible vegetable (or as Bonnie now so lovingly puts it: "A tard starting at the wall drooling") to a walking (with some help) and talking person! She has most of the same personality traits as before and the SAME Bonnie sense of humor. I think that is what makes me the happiest. In fact, yesterday for our ward's Halloween trunk-or-treating, she dressed up and titled her costume, "I got hit by a car." Which was perfect because it was her year anniversary since being hit. Even before the accident, she had such a warped sense of humor. I am so glad she still has the same sick sense of humor!!
She had to relearn to talk, walk, read, and write again. Bonnie is relearning how to do a lot of things that were her talents before the accident. She can paint and we all "oooo" and "ahhh" over her creations but she insists we are being too nice and they aren't that good. Well, let me tell all of you, the things she has painted since the accident are REALLY well done! I don't think she gives herself enough credit.
Throughout all the trials she has gone through, she is nothing short of amazing. She has inspired me to be a better person. She looks at the positives of that night. She was struck by the vehicle on her right side and hit her head on the left side. So the whole right side of her body is still struggling to keep up with the left. However, she counts her blessing that she is left handed. Having to relearn everything AND on a the non-dominant side would have been more difficult.
She still struggles with memory loss; which can make for some really funny conversations. Every time she speaks though, I am reminded of what a miracle it is that she is alive. I am beyond words of gratitude to our Lord and Savior for answering our prayers and helping to heal one of my bestest ever friends. I love you, Bonnie!!! Forever and ever.













0 comments:
Post a Comment