Friday, September 20, 2013

Grotesque Display

I hate fly paper. I hate it with a passion.

I think it is tacky.  Pun intended.

The nasty brown of the sticky paper hanging from the ceiling grosses me out. Every time.

Then there are the flies and other flying pests that get stuck to it in a grotesque manner with their little arms legs all sticking out in an unnatural warning other flies to steer clear... Like when some places put skulls on posts warning others to stay away.

And when flies first get stuck, they are in denial of their plight.  You think I would be happy when one gets stuck - no more fly pestering me.  But the concentrated buzzing and efforts to free themselves don't make this any better for me. If anything, it makes it worse.

I can almost see how people become vegan, respecting every life.  Right now, as I type this, I hear the sound of a poor, helpless fly stuck and the reverberation of its tiny wings is reminder that I just killed one of God's (albeit annoying) creatures. A slow death.  An agonizing death. But it beats having to chase each one down with a fly swatter.  Ew.  That is gross. The fly guts on the swatter... the futile effort to find where the carcass landed.

I have to keep reminding myself that summer is almost over and there shall be no more flies (or spiders/beetles/grasshoppers/etc) to bug me anymore. Again, pun intended.

No more middle of the night waking up to that dive bombing fly.  No more returning from the bathroom and seeing a fly on my food.  No more waving and flailing my arms about to scare them away.  No more flies.

Yes, I hate fly paper, but I hate flies more.

0 comments: