Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lesson from my Mom

This morning I was thinking of my mom and all the many things she has taught me. I truly believe I wouldn't be half the person I am today without her loving guidance.

I think back to when I was about 14 or 15 and my family was living in Corona, CA. My friends and I used to go roller skating all the time. We hung out with the 'regulars' when we went. There was one in particular named Glenn. He was 30 and single. Now as naive young teens, my friends and I thought nothing of it. We would jump in his car and go to Del Taco or where ever. I always got the front seat while all the rest of the kids were crammed in the back seat like a clown car. Once in a while I would share my front seat throne with one of them. Most times it was just me. I felt extra special. I thought that Glenn was a nice friend.

My brother and I even went to his house for a New Year's Eve party. That is where I tried my first Oreo dipped in salsa. Yes, it tastes just as gross as it sounds. We had a blast over there. His house was the cool house - we could throw a ball in the house if we wanted. There weren't the regular rules at his house that most people had at theirs.

Things were going seamlessly great. That is until my mom found out that our friend Glenn wasn't our age or anywhere near it. She laid down the lay: we were not allowed to hang out with Glenn or talk to him on the phone. I was furious that she wouldn't let me talk or hang out with him. I told her she was crazy. I probably said a few choice words to her as well. Nothing shook her determination to let me see him. She stood firm and I was angry. She was the meanest and dumbest mom on the planet.

She wouldn't let me go to the skating rink anymore because he might be there. How dare she keep me from my friends! Not long after, I moved out of state to live with my aunt's family for a while. It was hard saying goodbye to all my friends but we promised to keep in touch. "Keeping in touch" rarely sticks. People drift apart and life gets in the way. Sometimes years go by before you see or talk to that person again, if at all.

Thankfully one of my good friends, Rachel, and I did keep in partial contact. We would talk on the phone together. She would update me on all the happenings of our friends and such.

One of the times we spoke, she told me of an experience that happened with her, Dianna, and Glenn. I remember hearing her speak the words but my brain's jaw dropped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Even later after I hung up the phone, the details were still foggy because of the shock factor. From what I recall, somehow Rachel, Dianna, and Glenn ended up in Las Vegas in a hotel room! Dianna and Rachel had to call the cops on Glenn. Rachel was either crying or very emotional in her tone of voice that I couldn't understand the rest of the details.

Even though that is all I can remember, the thought that it could have been ME in a hotel room with a 30 year old man scares me half to death! My mom was right when she was suspicious of a 30 year old single male hanging around a bunch of teenagers at a teen hangout.

I am truly grateful for my mom caring about me and standing her ground. Even though I was very mad at her when she did it, I am very relieved that she made me cut all ties to that man. She was trying to protect me and I am glad she did. She taught me that did have best interest at heart.

2 comments:

Farmers Kohl said...

Isn't it funny how as a child or teenager, you have such a carefree attitude about life. And when you look at your parents you think that they are uptight. Well now that I'm a parent myself, I worry all the time. One day you are free, then suddenly you wake up and realize that you have responsibilities, and you are tied down. No wonder gray hair happens. I just hope to be the kind of mom you described, where you can protect loved ones, even if they don't see it that way at first.

Celeste Dodge said...

hi celeste, we live in santa clara, it's right by st. george. sorry about the bad typing, i'm typing one handed and holding the baby with the other. There, she's down. So send me your email address sometime so we can catch up. You have no pictures of your family on here!