I had a dream where I lived in the future. It wasn't like I had always lived in the future. It was as if I either time traveled to that point in time or just BAM was there. Possibly I was in some sort of coma or cryogenic state because I was seeing everything as if for the first time.
The first thing I remember vividly is my car. I had a hover pod car that only sat one person. It was white just like all the other hovering pod cars. Some seated two people and others four. I was thinking about upgrading to one of the new three-seater pod cars so the girls and I could ride together. But it wasn't a normal pod car, it was similar to the one-seater I already owned, but it could expand. Out of the driver's seat, from each side, emerged a smaller chair. All the pod cars were very small - reminding me of a orb version of a Smart car. The pristine white of the exterior, interior and all the controls were much like a sterile operating room. There was no room for individualization of one's car. Yet, I knew which car was mine.
Along with owning an pod car, I had some sort of motorbike for inner-city traveling. It had gray, black, and some brown hues to it. Again, just like everyone else's motorbike. The police were very strict. So much so that if even a hair of your motorbike was on your driveway or sidewalk, they would cite you and possibly confiscate your motorbike. I couldn't understand why we couldn't just keep our motorbikes on our own driveways. I got the impression that driveways didn't belong to those who lived at the homes. There was a time when I left the kickstand partially on the driveway when my brother came in and shouted that I needed to hurry and move my motorbike onto the grass all the way because policeman Charles was patrolling the streets. I hurried just in time to move it and got a stern look and an even sterner lecture about taking better care of my motorbike.
In this dream world, everyone had laptops that had universal internet and it was free. Everyone was on the same network and that concerned me because it is easier to monitor people that way. No one else seemed concerned that their laptops were possibly being spied upon. The group I was with was in a floating cafe of sorts and we were surfing the web. I was scoffed at for thinking that someone would spy on them because they said no one would do that. I glanced around me and saw bright yellows and oranges in the sky. They swirled together creating a gorgeous, relaxing effect. There were pod cars floating in the sky, all flying to get to somewhere. I felt an impression that there were no longer country boundaries, lines drawn, or enmity towards one's brother. There were many cloud cafes, birds dotting the horizon, and it all seemed peaceful. Too peaceful.
As I pondered all this, my brain was full of gooey, muddled thoughts. I was trying hard to think about how a society that could only own the type of vehicle allowed and couldn't park on their own driveways could not see the control they were under. The swirls of the colorful sky started hypnotizing me and soon I sat back and just relaxed. Unaware.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Unaware
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comments:
That has a very Phillip K. Dick feel to it. You should read some of his short stories and works. You might be familiar with some of his work: Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, among some other movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_K._Dick
Post a Comment