Ok, so I may be a bit sneaky, but isn't that what being a mother is all about?
This afternoon, Lily and I went riding bikes around the neighborhood. There was a snow cone stand at the Terry's house and so we rode home, got money, and went back to get a snow cone. Justin came with us this time. While we were enjoying our snow cones in the shade of a cottonwood tree, Courtney told me that they were having night games at her house tonight. I have no idea what night games are, but the youth in ward are really into them. I figure it is soooo much better than them out doing things they shouldn't. She told me that Nathan was invited.
To say that Nathan is not fond of Courtney is a huge understatement. But I knew that Layne (Nathan's best friend and Courtney's neighbor) would be in attendance and Nathan would want to hang out with Layne. I told Nathan that they were having night games at Layne's house. Yes, I fibbed, but what was I to do? Nathan is completely content sitting on his rocker chair playing video games until his eyes pop out and his brain is fried. I am convinced that left to his own devices, his 14 year old self would be found in a Hot Pocket overload stupor, pushing ABAABBAAXXY on the controller for the killing shot.
He also recently got his time limited on the weekends because Bill and I realized that Justin is more than happy to go outside and play when the day is nice; Nathan will just lay there if he can't play (that is a story for another time). Nathan began to protest when I told him about the night games, but I reassured him that he would have fun and he needs to be a bit more social.
Well, while he was playing the Xbox 360, he was chatting with Layne and found out that it wasn't going to be at Layne's house, but at Courtney's backyard. He grumbled and I reminded him it isn't like I am forcing him to go to a church dance. He mumbled something about it being just as bad. I reminded him that I was making cookies for him to take over.
I made 5 dozen of my awesome chocolate chip cookies. I bagged a single dozen for Brother Terry for helping me out a few months ago with some yard stuff and I was letting the rest of the cookies cool on the counter. Nathan walks in and I see him eyeballing both the bagged and cooling cookies.
"Uh, which ones are for me to take?" he asked.
"The ones that I haven't bagged yet. The ones in the bag are from Brother Terry," I explained.
Nathan breathed out excitement, "YES! That's a lot of cookies!!"
I bagged the rest of the cookies and we set off to Layne's house. He and I came to a compromise that he would meet up with Layne at his house so they could walk over to Courtney's together. He held the two full plates of cookies and was smiling at the thought of ripping into them like a lion on an antelope (ok, bad analogy).
Right before I dropped him off, he asked me what he should do with the cookies: should he wait until they are at Courtney's house or if he and Layne (and Layne's brothers) could snarf them all up first. I told him I didn't care and he got that sly grin. So who knows what he will do, but I am sure I will hear all about it when he gets home. I also made sure he had his cell phone so he can call us if he needs to.
Speaking of home, he asked me when he had to be home. I told him I didn't care because I trust him. He just looked at me weird. I told him that he probably will end up coming home before 11. So we will see. As he was getting out of the car, he smiled and told me that if he didn't have fun that it was my fault. I laughed and told him that his attitude will determine if he has fun or not. He just grinned and closed the door.
So I tricked Nathan (ok, kind of forced him to be social) to go hang out with other kids in our ward that are his age. Sometimes being a parent means having to steer kids and push them in the direction they need to go.... so if using a little trickery works, so be it. One day he will understand - I hope. :) If not, then at least he got to eat a bunch of cookies.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Way to a Teenage Boy's Heart
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comments:
Thanks celeste for sharing. I know its hard trying to get Nathan out and about and not to play video games all the time. However, I have photos of Nate since the age of three and justin not even a year old with Bill showing them how to play. I don't really like it. Never have. I am only hoping he will out grow it. I do believe it is a teenage boy thing. Both Will and Brad at that age did the exact same thing! No kidding! All day long video games and because Jim did not regulate it they would get up and play all night long! It was so frustrating to me.... Ah boys! On a positive note Will (19) has out grown it and Brad (17) has cut back quite a bit. Now its all about girls! Ugh.
Post a Comment